Friday, October 21, 2011

When You Crashed In The Clouds/ VI

When you crashed in the clouds/ Part VI



Johnathan claps his hands together, jumping on the spot a few times to ward off the cold. The grand final of the local tournament. The stadium is packed and the crowd is already making a lot of noise. He looks up in to the stands, looking for a familiar face. He sees his family and waves. All of his cousins cheer and wave. He continues searching.

Billy is sitting in one of the center isles , wrapped up in a heavy coat and a blue scarf against the cold. Billy smiles and waves when their eyes meet. Johnathan grins back helplessly. Billy had told him he was coming but Johnathan still finds it hard to believe how close they'd become in such a short time, still finds it hard to believe the way his heart beat faster every time Billy smiled. He understands what this is. He knows his own heart. But he also knows who Billy is. The son of Richard Slater. This is never going to be easy but at least he is certain of what he wants.

---

Billy wakes up slowly, eyes blinking in the early morning light. Johnathan is asleep, half on top of him, an arm wrapped around Billy, hair tickling Billy's chin every time he breathes. Billy traces the dark wings etched across Johnathan's back with gentle fingers, breaking in to a brilliant smile as the situation sinks in. Yesterday's grand final seems so far away now.

He knows his father wouldn't approve. He knows the trouble this is going to cause. But he is in love and there is nothing he can do but to follow his heart to wherever it leads.

And all roads lead to Johnathan.

---

"I have heard that you have been dallying with a commoner"

Billy tenses. He'd known he wouldn't be able to keep Johnathan a secret forever and that his father would eventually find out but he is not entirely prepared for this conversation. Before he can think of a reply his father continues.

"You will stop"

No.

He cannot.

It takes him a moment to realise he'd said those words aloud.

His father's eyes narrow. He'd never taken kindly to being denied.

"I am the head of this family and you will do as you are told and cease whatever you think you have started. I will not have my heir associating with common trash"

Billy clenches his fists. His father always gets what he wants. The only thing Billy's ever known to do is to agree and do as he is told.

"Yes, father" he assents. Ever the obedient son.

But he is not.

He is too far gone to turn back now. The thought of a life without Johnathan is unbearable.

---

"My father knows" Billy says, because he must. Johnathan has the right to know.

Johnathan turns so he's laying on his back on the bed. He reaches out a hand.

"Billy…"

Billy twines their fingers together and leans over him.

"It doesn't matter. I just needed you to know"

"You'll get in to trouble" Johnathan whispers and Billy knows this is an important conversation but he is incredibly distracted by the way the light in the room has made Johnathan's eyes shades lighter. He closes the distance between them and kisses him. Johnathan arches in to it, free hand catching in Billy's hair and pulling him closer.

"Billy…" Johnathan whispers against his lips when they draw back.

"It's my life, Jay. This is what I want. I won't let him take this" Billy traces Johnathan's lips with a gentle finger, "you're mine"

---


"How could you do it? Do you know how much he-"

"I know how much he loved me, Cooper! I know! Do you think I don't feel the same way about him too?"

"Then why-"

"I can't...I don't want to talk about this"
"Listen you moron, you've hurt my best friend and I don't like idiots hurting the people I care about! Tell me why you thought it was okay to hurt a boy who loved you like no one else"

"I had no choice"

"What the hell does that mean? Who was it?"

"His father"

"What?"

"Billy's father"

"You were with...are you kidding me? Why would you-what were you thinking?"

"He would have sent Billy away if I hadn't...I couldn't let lose Billy…"

"He blackmailed you? He raped-"

"Stop! I was willing. As long as he kept his side of the deal, I was willing. It doesn't matter anymore though. Billy hates me and I don't give a fuck about anything else"

"Tell him! You have to tell Billy. You can't just-"

"No! He can't know. You can't tell him any of this. Promise me, Cooper"

"But-"

"How do you think he'll look at me when he finds out? His father...he calls me a whore and I don't ever want to see it in Billy's eyes. I'd rather die. Please, Cooper"

---

"Hurt him" Richard Slater says and frowns in annoyance at the reply from the other end of the phone.

"No. I said hurt him. Nothing else."

He listens.

"No. Teach him a lesson, don't kill him" he says, not keeping the frustration out of his voice and hangs up.

He stares at the phone for a moment. The boy had defied him. Even if he had no leverage over the boy since his relationship with Billy had broken down, he needed to learn what it meant to defy Richard Slater.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment