Part III
Johnathan is curled up on the bed when he finally has the courage to come in. The black wings on his back are vivid against his skin, curling around him protectively. He must have made some noise because Johnathan opens his eyes. He looks up at Billy and curls up tighter.
"Go away"
Billy hesitates next to the bed.
"Johnathan…"
"Go away, Billy" Johnathan says harshly.
Billy takes a deep breath and sits down on the bed.
"Not gonna leave you, Jay"
Johnathan looks up then, the tears in his eyes defying the anger in his voice.
"You can't do anything! You can't fucking save me so just…" Johnathan pauses with a sob. "save yourself the trouble and go away" he finishes quietly.
Billy shakes his head and heart beating fast, lies down next to Johnathan on the bed. He rests a hand between them on the bed.
"I'm not going anywhere"
Johnathan looks at his hand before looking at him.
"I'm not worth it, Billy. I'm not...good for you"
"Wouldn't be here if that was true" he says, turning his hand palm up on the bed. He can't help but smile when Johnathan tentatively reaches out and places his hand in his. Billy holds tight.
---
"Luke is JT's best friend"
"Friends with benefits?"
And Justin must have heard the bitterness in his voice because he turns around and looks at him.
"Billy…"
And suddenly he doesn't want to have this conversation anymore.
"Never mind. Forget I said anything" and he starts to walk back but then Justin is standing in front of him, all six foot something and towering.
"Johnathan...he...he's been through a lot. And Luke has always been there for him. I know it doesn't seem like...a normal relationship but in all of JT's life Luke has been the one person who hasn't left him and…"
"That means a lot" Billy finishes softly.
Justin smiles.
"Yeah, it does"
---
"Where are you going?"
"What am I going to do here, Luke? There's nothing! I have nothing left in this world"
"What am I then? Am I nothing?"
"Luke..."
"You have me. Johnathan, I'm not going anywhere"
Luke pulled Johnathan up on to his feet.
"You're coming home with me"
Johnathan shivered in the cold and Luke took of his over coat and wrapped it around him.
"Luke…"
Luke smiled.
"I'm not gonna go to that league school on my own, man! I need you with me"
---
He kissed him like he was the treasure he'd been looking for all his life, like he was the most singularly wonderful thing he'd ever encountered. Luke kissed him like he was the only thing that mattered and Johnathan has had that so rarely in his life.
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment