Billy ran his fingers through his hair, trying to not let his anger show. Two hours. He’d been waiting for two hours. He sighed as his phone began to ring. Johnathan was so going to get a piece of his mind for making him wait so long. He frowned at the caller ID on his phone. Karmichael Hunt.
“K?”
“Hey Billy. Is Johnathan with you?”
Billy felt the world screech to a halt.
“No...I thought he was with you guys”
“He didn’t turn up for training. We thought he might be with you”
“No he...” Billy took a deep breath as he tried to calm himself “He was supposed to meet me...two hours ago”
“Maybe he didn’t feel like coming out today...he’s been like that recently” Karmichael said in a reassuring tone.
“Yeah...I’m gonna go check his place. See if he’s there”
---
Billy looked out the bus window. He was so tired. It has been days since he last slept properly. He felt a sharp pain as he remembered the last time he got a proper nights' sleep. He’d been wrapped in Johnathan’s arms. Everything had been coming back to normal after the whole newspaper scandal. And then Johnathan had just disappeared. It had been three days now. Billy had searched everywhere. Anywhere Johnathan might have gone. But nothing. No one had seen him. So Billy was now on his way to Elron. Johnathan’s grandparents had a farm there. If Johnathan wasn’t there then...Billy wouldn’t know where to look. He squeezed his eyes shut, fighting the tears. How could Johnathan do this to him? Just disappear without telling him? Didn’t he realise how worried he’d be? Billy tried to hold on to the anger. If he didn’t, then the desperate fear that he’d felt when he realised Johnathan was missing would uncoil and freeze his heart. He didn’t want to be afraid. If he admitted to his fear, he’d be admitting defeat that he might never see Johnathan again.
---
Billy looked around. This looked like the right place. At least he hoped this was the right place. This was the only farm for miles. He’d been lucky to hitch a ride with a couple of guys who were going the same way. He walked up and knocked on the door. The door opened and an old woman stood there with hair as white as snow pulled back in to a bun at the nape of her neck.
“Hi...I was wondering if...Is Johnathan here?”
The woman looked at him with sharp brown eyes.
“And who are you?” she asked.
“Billy. Billy Slater. I’m a friend of Johnathans’”
To his surprise, she smiled.
“Billy. He’s told us about you, didn’t say you were so handsome though”
Billy blushed and smiled “Is he here ma’am?”
She laughed.
“Call me Maggie. Yes he’s here, out back. Go around there. He’d be feeding the horses so you can’t miss him” she said pointing to the right side of the house.
Billy dropped his bag and practically ran off the porch. He slowed down as the horses first came in to his view. They were fenced in with a wooden fence and he could see the shed behind it. The horses had congregated to the near side of the fence pulling apart a barrel of hay. Then the shed door opened and a figure stepped out carrying another barrel of hay. He was wearing a red chequered shirt and denim pants that were ripped at the knees. Seeing Billy he froze, slowly lowering the hay to the ground. Billy watched Johnathan for a moment. Feeling the emotions flowing through him. The anger, fear and the desperate love were all eclipsed by the immense sense of relief. Johnathan was okay. He was safe. He walked over and stopped in front of his lover.
“Billy...” Johnathan whispered as if he couldn’t believe that Billy was here, that he’d come looking for him. Billy didn’t let him say anything else as he crushed his lips to Johnathans’. He felt Johnathan’s hands grip his shirt as he kissed him. He pulled away and stepped back. “Billy...” Johnathan said as he stepped forward. Billy didn’t even realise he’d been so angry until he pulled his arm back and punched Johnathan in the face. Johnathan touched his face and looked at Billy in shock.
“What the fuck are you doing? Do you think this is going to solve anything? Running away? You just disappear like that and what am I supposed to think? Do you know how worried everyone was? You’re just feeding the fucking horses like it doesn’t even matter!”
“I’m sorry” Johnathan whispered.
“You’re sorry” Billy snarled. “That’s all you can say? After all this? I was so scared. So fucking scared that something had happened to you and...” Billy felt the tears in his eyes and found that he didn’t care. “Why would you do that to me?”
Johnathan reached out, eyes dark with pain but Billy stepped out of reach. It hurt to see Johnathan hurting but the memory of betrayal was still so close. Johnathan let his arm fall.
“I’m sorry I hurt you. Billy I didn’t mean to. You know I’d never knowingly do anything to hurt you. I just...” he looked away and Billy could see the tears shining in his eyes. “I was so sick of everything. All the rumours and the journalists and all the shit that people say. I just...wanted to get away from it all” He looked at Billy “I wasn’t thinking when I left....I should have told you. I wish I could change it...I’m sorry. I’d understand if you hate me”
“Would I come all the way out here if I hated you? Johnathan, you’re everything I love” Billy reached out and pulled Johnathan in to a hug. Johnathan slowly wrapped his arms around him and settled his head on Billy’s shoulder.
“Can we stay? Just for a little while? I don’t wanna go back just yet”
Billy pressed a kiss on to Johnathan’s dark head.
“Yeah. We can stay awhile”
Nawwwwwwwww. I like this.
ReplyDelete