These are little drabbles that fit in to my Written Across the Stars verse.
Drabble no.1. Before the events of the main story. Winter of 2006.
"JUSTIN!!"
Dal was snapped out of his shock by the sound of Nick's voice. He followed Nick who sprinted past him towards Justin who lay unmoving on the ground meters away. The Bulldogs player, was that Giansiracusa?- was already sitting up. Their trainers had arrived and were huddled around Justin's prone figure when they reached him.
He heard Nick's sharp intake of breath when he saw Justin, blood covering half of his face and not responding to anything the trainers were doing. He held Nick back as he tried to get closer and one of the trainers snapped at them to stay back. Nick looked like he was about to punch the guy in the face but subsided when the stretcher arrived. The others had arrived and were standing around them in worried little groups, some of the boys giving Nick concerned looks.
"They'll look after him, Nick" he whispered.
…
A skull fracture. They doctors told him it could have been so much worse. But Justin was lucky, they said, he hadn't lost any brain function. He had raced to the hospital after the game. He'd let Dal drive because there was no way he was in any fit state to drive. He'd fled past the nurses and doctors and patients, until he'd found Justin, asleep with his head half obscured by white gauze. He'd nearly cried then. He had been so scared. And the relief almost floored him. He was going to stay. Stay with Justin until he woke up. Until he opened his eyes and smiled at Nick and Nick could be sure that he was okay.
Drabble no. 2. The last time they ever saw each other. Nick was never going to go without a goodbye.
Justin doesn’t invite him in when Nick knocks on his door that night. And it hurts. Even after all this time, even when he's almost convinced himself that there was never a time when they had shared a home together. But Justin smiles like he's pleased to see him and Nick believes him, sees the truth written in his brown eyes.
"Hey," Justin says, closing the door behind him. "Are you alright?"
Justin is standing too close but Nick doesn't step back. He doesn't want to. And that is their problem. The reason why he's here. He'll always be coming back to Justin. For as long as he's alive.
"I'm fine I just…" he reaches out for Justin's hand but halts mere inches away. He needs permission now. He needs permission to touch something that is ingrained in to his very soul. Justin reaches out and takes his waiting hand. Nick takes a shaky breath and Justin leans closer, his free hand coming up to rest on Nick's shoulder.
"Nick?"
It takes conscious effort to not cross the short distance between them and…
"I just wanted to…" Nick ducks his head, feeling Justin's fingers rubbing gently across his neck.
"I wanted to see you." He lifts his head, hair falling away from his eyes in time to see Justin's breath catch.
Justin pulls him closer until their heads are resting against each other.
"I miss you too."
Nick grips a hand in Justin's shirt and they stay like that for a while. Not moving, not speaking, just breathing together, heavy hearts filled with regret.
"I want you to know …" Nick leans back a little, eyes roaming over Justin's face, "You've made me happier than anyone,"
"Nick…"
Nick draws back, out of Justin's reach.
"I just need you to know that."
Justin takes a step forward, face wracked with pain.
Nick holds up a hand.
"Don't. Please." He tries to smile. He fails. "If I could ask one thing before I ...don't forget me, please if you could…" He takes another step back. There are tears in Justin's eyes, mirroring his own.
"Goodbye, Justin." He turns around, ready to walk away.
"I won't," Justin says behind him, "I won't forget."
Nick nods. It's dark but he's sure Justin can see him. He walks away and maybe he hears Justin whisper 'I love you' in to the night but maybe that's his own voice finally letting go of those words.
Life must be depressing at the moment. Seem to be writing so many sad things. Oh well. Muses must be obeyed for good or ill.
This is heartbreaking! Why must you do this?? Why can't your boys just live a happy life??
ReplyDeleteI think it's about time you forgive Gia for what happened. He didn't mean to do what he did.
Can I just ask what is happening with Nick and Justin? Is this because Justin got married??
Nawwwwwww.....there...there...
nooooooooooo!!!!
ReplyDeletemaybe.
Nick wanted to say goodbye properly. and i wanted them to see eachother after the wedding but before the hospital.
not going to forgive Gia. nearly killed my baby!