Monday, November 8, 2010

Never too late.

I think I wrote all of this in one go...so the quality might not be what it should be :D


He’d only just walked in to the hotel lobby when he was engulfed. Hugs and cries of ‘congratulations’ were all he was aware of.

“Thanks guys” he said when he could finally untangle himself. Everyone was there. Nick, Justin, Matt and Dal. All except...

“Where’s Brendon?”

The smiles faded just a little.

“Umm...not sure. He...er...disappeared right after...well...” Justin looked pleadingly at Nick.

“I’m sure he’ll be back before dinner” Nick said helpfully.

- - -

BJ was at the bar, sitting by himself. Lenny went to join him. He hadn’t seen BJ since he got to the hotel.

“Brendon” he greeted sitting down on the seat next to him.

BJ gulped down the vodka before looking at him.

“You’re getting married” BJ’s voice was rough like he’d being shouting or crying. Lenny wasn’t sure how to respond.

“Yeah”

BJ looked away.

“Brendon, are you-“

BJ turned to Lenny suddenly, a huge smile on his face.

“Congratulations”

Then BJ got up and walked away.

- - -

They watched BJ making a run for it out to the balcony of the restaurant.

“That’s not good” Justin commented.

“We should have known this was gonna happen” Matt said, chewing on a piece of bread.

“But now? BJ has great timing” Dal shook his head in despair.

Nick sighed.

“Okay. Dal, go talk to BJ. I’ll see how Lenny’s doing”

“Errr..Nick?” Justin indicated with his head. Nick turned around to see Lenny following BJ out to the balcony.

- - -

BJ was leaning over the balcony, looking out at the city, shoulders hunched against the cold. Lenny settled his jacket around his shoulders.

“Thanks” BJ murmured.

Lenny joined him at the railing.

“What’s going on, Brendon?”

BJ turned around to look at him.

I’m going to lose him anyway.

He took a deep breath.

He held Lenny’s eyes as he leaned forward to kiss him.

“What are you...? Brendon, what?”

I’ve lost him now.

BJ walked away.

- - -

“I’ve lost him now, haven’t I?” BJ asked Nick, who had found him outside sitting on the wet grass.

“He probably hates me now. I’ve fucked up the whole team” BJ continued as the elevator continued to climb.

“You’ve got to talk to him, BJ. You can’t leave this as it is”

BJ sighed.

“I know”

- -

Lenny was looking at him with those great dark eyes and BJ didn’t even know where to start.

“Why, Brendon?”

BJ laughed. Of all the questions.

“Because I’m in love with you. I know I’m such a moron ‘cos I waited till you got engaged. But it’s not like it would have made a difference anyways, is it? I just...please don’t hate me, Len!”

“I’m engaged, Brendon”

“I know. I know. I... can you just forget anything happened? I’ll never bring this up again. We can just go back to the way things were.” BJ looked up at Lenny.

“Len..if you weren’t engaged...would you...?”

“I need some air” Lenny walked out.

- - -

“Why didn’t he tell me?” Lenny sat down heavily on Justin’s bed.

“I mean...he said...I didn’t...I didn’t know”

“It was sort of obvious” Dal said, earning a look from Nick.

“I mean... BJ isn’t the most subtle...for all of us looking from the outside” he clarified.

“All this time, he waited until I got engaged”

‘Wouldn’t have made a difference though, would it?” Justin asked.

Lenny looked at him.

“Lenny? You...Oh my God! You too? Why the fuck didn’t you say anything?”

“Doesn’t matter now, does it? It’s too late”

“Too late? If you love him-“

‘I love Tamara, I’m engaged to her”

“Yes but you obviously feel something for BJ. You should tell him”

“Why? What good will it do, when nothing can come out of it?”

“BJ trusted his heart to you, even when he knew it’d be broken. It’s the least you can do, to let him know that his love is not in vain”

...

“I wish you would have told me a week ago, a month ago...years ago. Brendon...”

“What are you...? What do you mean?”

Lenny stepped forward and touched BJ’s face with gentle fingers.

“I can’t betray her, Brendon. I love her”

BJ could have sworn Lenny’s eyes were shining.

“This is all I can give you”

Lenny touched his lips to BJ’s. And BJ kissed him back.

The tears had spilled from Lenny’s eyes when they drew apart.

“We could have been amazing” BJ whispered, touching the tear tracks on Lenny’s face.

Lenny smiled.

Yeah, they could have been.

1 comment:

  1. Nice :) i like this. I really liked the... atmosphere?...Lighting?...haha Remember that episode of 30Rock?

    No really, i like this. Let's face it. This is probably what took place after the best and fairest.

    StKilda...could have been amazing(except 2009) :)
    Sorry to put that in. But you did say, and i quote"we could have been amazing"

    ReplyDelete